Amid fears of sudden death, Abu Hawash enters 140th day of hunger strike – In Palestine Today
News

Amid fears of sudden death, Abu Hawash enters 140th day of hunger strike

Occupied Palestine (In Palestine Today)- Palestinian detainee in Israeli jails, Hisham Abu Hawash, is at a high risk of sudden death as he has been on hunger strike for 140 consecutive days in protest against his administrative detention without a charge or trial.

The Palestinian Commission of Detainees’ and ex-Detainees’ Affairs said on Monday that Abu Hawash’s health condition has been deteriorating severly and he is now at a high risk of sudden death.

The Commission said that Hisham is in a coma, adding that he lost speech, hearing, and sight.

The Commission also said that Abu Hawash has been losing considerable weight, weighing around 40 kilograms.

He has been suffering from powerful fatigue, exhaustion, serious decline in body fluids and vitamins, and has been vomiting blood.

He has also had trouble drinking water and has felt palpitations with every movement.

The Commission warned against Israel’s force-feeding of Abu Hawash.

It was also reported yesterday that Hisham is suspected to have blood poisoning and kidney damage, as he is having difficulties in draining urine. Water in his body has decreased to one-third after he fell into a coma, according to ‘Waed’ Detainees’ watchdog, adding that those are very dangerous signs, which mean that Hisham is dying.

It also added that doctors, working for the Israeli Prison Service (IPS), beat Abu Hawwash when they were transferring him from the clinic of the Ramlah prison to the Israeli Asav Haroveh hospital.

Israeli authorities also prevented all visitations to Abu Hawash.

The 41-year-old Abu Hawash from Dora in occupied Hebron, was arrested on October 27, 2020, and held under administrative detention.

He has been on hunger strike since August 17, 2021 in protest against his administrative detention without a charge or trial by Israeli occupation authorities.

On 1, 6, and 8 December, an Israeli Court of appeal in Ofer delayed deciding the case of Abu Hawash (three times).

On 10 December, he was transferred to an Israeli hospital due to his critical health condition. That day, the Israeli court of appeal also delayed his case for the fourth time, claiming it was still waiting for a medical report from the Israeli Prison Service, which had been asked to provide it three weeks ago.

On 12 December, an Israeli court decided to extend the illegal administrative detention of Abu Hawash for four months for the fourth time, as his detention order was renewed three times before for no reasons.

On December 19, the Israeli supreme court rejected an appeal to suspend the administrative detention of Abu Hawwash or send him to a civilian hospital, claiming that the Israeli prison service is the only one entitled to do so. His family expressed concerns that he may have an acute heart attack as he was held in the clinic of the Ramleh prison, which is not prepared to treat his condition.

On December 26, Abu Hawash was transferred to Assaf Harofeh hospital in southern occupied Palestine following a deterioration in his health. Shortly after he was transferred, the occupation authorities decided to freeze his administrative detention amid fears of sudden death.

Till today, Abu Hawash continues his hunger strike for 140 consecutive days, as the court decisions to freeze administrative detentions, which Israeli courts routinely make, come only within an Israeli strategy to forcefully end hunger strikes, which demand the end of illegal administrative detentions.

Abu Hawash had in the past been sentenced to four and a half years in Israeli prison, before he became a father to five children. He was also placed under administrative detention in 2008 and 2012.

Close